Cáncer de hígado iv etapa

Nicole’s father is confused, his eyes are yellow and his leg is swollen: all possible symptoms you need to expect when your loved one has stage iv liver cancer. Please leave a comment with a hug or share your experience so Nicole doesn’t have to go this road on her own.

Know the fundamental differences between stage 4 cancer, cancer survival and terminal cancer:

Stage iv cancer is a cancer that has spread to other organs. On our website, the cancer has spread to the liver and is called metastatic liver cancer, metastatic meaning "moved from another place to this place". 
We have a handful of metastatic liver cancer survivors contributing to our site to show by experience that people can survive a stage iv metastatic liver cancer. The first step in surviving cancer is believing you can survive cancer, that’s why we want you to get inspired by Jim’s son’s victory over metastatic liver cancer.
Terminal cancer starts with the believe that there is no cancer treatment available to cure the cancer and that the patient will go from bad to worse until he passes away.

Only when you believe the doctors "verdict", you are a terminal cancer patient. Doctors hardly experienced any metastatic liver cancer survivor so they will tell you immediately your loved on is going to pass away.


Do know that Jim’s son is surviving stage 4 colon cancer thanks to both conventional as alternative treatment for colon cancer. Jim’s son holistic cancer treatment – doing everything right – has the highest chance to cure cancer.


Nicole has been commenting on what do you say to a man who is going to die and stage iv colon cancer. I highlight Nicole’s and our experience during a stage iv liver cancer and ask you to share yours.


I think that in most cases they hang on for us not them

I think so too: the terminal cancer patient feels how painful it is for others when he or she would be gone, so they survive on willpower to stay around for their loved ones. If you want to act on this idea, you do what Nicole said to her grandma :



I took her hand and I told her how much we all loved her, and that were all going to walk her to heaven, and its okay to let go. Directly after she passed away


Sorry I was on the phone and hit the send button before finishing my comment. I have 3 little ones…

Look at the word "sorry"… Nicole apologizes for her actions, which is nice of Nicole…


We came to a point that we stopped apologizing: the reality of taking care of a stage iv liver cancer patient is that your energy levels are going way down, and your patient is asking more care each and every day.


On top of that you try to run your daily life, work and family… No need to apologize! He or she who doesn’t understand your situation isn’t helping you and therefore doesn’t deserve your apology.


Once you stop saying sorry you get 2 possibilities:

most people think you are rude: discard those people because they don’t know what is happening
some people get a wake up call, they finally understand that something is really wrong and will finally open up to help. And any help is good help, like doing the shopping for you so you can do something else or just try to rest.

Exactly :-( It’s like seeing a snowman melting in front of your eyes and you can’t do anything about that. It equally sucks that conventional doctors don’t look beyond conventional colon cancer treatments. It sucks even more that hardly any doctor knows a stage 4 colon cancer survivor.


Exactly :-(


he’s so scared and I don’t know how to help him.

Father didn’t ever talk about fear – father hardly ever talked about his emotions -, so if yours does, please engage in asking what exactly he is afraid of. Maybe you don’t have a solution, but when the fear is occupying his daily thinking, it will be a relief he can share it.


but at the same time if I make it normal I’d only see him once a week and right now even if we barley speak

Don’t take the "act normal" rule literary: when your son gets sick, your normal reaction is to spend more time with him and take extra care of him. Same idea applies to your father: he is sick, so the normal thing to do is spend more time with him and take better care for him. E.g. if he likes chocolate, then bring him chocolate like you always did (oh yes, I can hear lots of you saying now – are you crazy: he has a liver problem -. My answer to that is: no I am not crazy: he is terminal and the taste of chocolate will bring a bigger smile on his face than a rigorous diet that spares his liver, a liver cleanse or a colon cleansing.


I’m loosing valuable time. And I just feel…

Always listen to your gut feeling and act accordingly, there are no rules, we didn’t learn anything about this in school and don’t see anything like this on TV. You know you father and yourself best and your love is what should lead you further.


I’m just not sure what’s gonna happen

Nobody is, but when you stop chemotherapy for colon cancer and all other cancer treatments to cure cancer, the prognosis is your father won’t be around in the near future. If you want to communicate anything, then now is the time to do it. I asked my father: "is there anything you want me to do for you?" and he said : "no, just do what you are doing already."
That was my guidance, you need to find yours.


Medically the metastatic liver cancer can cause the following:

if his liver is growing, then his pain will be growing and pain-medication is needed (with laxatives because pain medication gets you constipated)
feet and legs will get filled with water and swell. This has to be monitored and you need to provide bigger shoes and bigger socks. When sleeping, we made sure father’s feet where higher than his heart (put a pillow under his feet to keep it simple, but ask your doctor, nurse or caregiver for better advice)
eating less: getting thinner by the day
drinking less: getting dehydrated
jaundice (which we never experienced, although we thought father’s eyes were yellow, the doctor and nurses said they were not)
confusion: this can manifest in many ways and in father’s case went on and off:
not knowing how to do "a simple task"
forgetting where things are
not recognizing people (the long term memory will work better than the short term memory)
thinking that something is something else:
a fork becomes a spoon that leaks… (he could become angry and frustrated)
a piece of dirt becomes a scary venomous spider… (this calls for more love and attention or neuro-medication)
how am I going to explain this to my children?

I have no experience here, I remembered that my grandma was sick when I was young and that one day she died. If your children are close to their grandpa, then I would bring them along. If your father loves his grandchildren like crazy, then for sure bring them along.


He got very angry when he came to because he says we tricked him going to the hospital

Most likely it won’t be the last time you will "trick" him into something. Main thing is to be around when he finds out about "the trick" so you can explain it’s all done with love and good faith even when he is angry. Think about when you trick your kids into something or kids get angry because they are not allowed to do something ‘for the better of them’. It’s a similar judgment with again a person you love dearly.


We do advice you to surround you with people that have gone the same path. Especially try to find a GP that has experience with liver cancer and colon cancer (your GP, your father’s GP, a GP of one of your family members), so you don’t have to bring your dad to hospital too many times.


Do find hospice and palliative care people and introduce them as fast as possible. We were lucky father’s GP had lots of common sense and quite some cancer experience + "free" nurses that came twice a day (free – part of the health insurance) and a biweekly family helper to cook, to clean or to be an emotional outlet.


At the end of the day, extra professional help are drops of advice, guidance and relieve. An immense amount of energy has to be produced by whoever is/are the daily care-taker(s) of your father. Do not underestimated their effort, it acquires an humongous amount of energy.


Nicole’s last 3 comments:



My dad is in the end stage of metastatic colon cancer, and with him I just comfort him when he’s confused, and when he’s with it I treat him no different then before because he never wanted anyone to treat him different. And when I lost my Grandma to liver failure due to syrosis from high iron called hymacromatosis, and she was taken off life support, My sister, mom and aunt were allowed in with her. She hung on for quite awhile, so I took her hand and I told her how much we all loved her, and that were all going to walk her to heaven, and its okay to let go. Directly after she passed away. I think that in most cases they hang on for us not them and they need you to let them know that its okay and were gonna miss you but we’ll be okay.



Sorry I was on the phone and hit the button. I have 3 little ones so that’s why I’m waiting to go down. I’m just not sure what’s gonna happen, I mean I know its getting bad but I’m not sure what to think. Lately I find myself having a hard time to talk to him. I think I’m preparing myself but it just sucks cause I’m loosing valuable time. And I just feel so bad because he’s so scared and I don’t know how to help him. Were trying to make everything normal 4 him because he doesn’t want anyone to fuss or be different….but at the same time if I make it normal I’d only see him once a week and right now even if we barley speak I want to be there. Thanks for being able to share and listen to me. Its nice to have someone who’s able to relate to. I do have one question, how am I going to explain this to my children? Their only 3, 2, and 4 months. I mean I know my 4 month old won’t understand, but how can I tell my kids that their pap pap’s not here. My son Alex he’s 3, he’s so close to my dad and Its gonna just be so hard to explain it to him. Not to mention every time he asks me why he can’t go see him I’m crying,how can I tell him????????



Well, we finally got him to the hospital last Saturday when he was severely confused. He got very angry when he came to because he says we tricked him. The docs said nothing in his liver seemed to have changed, but were really concerned about his rapid decline. So they ran allot of tests and just said he was severely dehydrated and malnourished so they let him out w/in home care after 4 days and tonight he’s back down there. The nurse was concerned because his blood pressure was 96/52 and his one leg is allot more swollen then his other one. She said that could be a blood clot,and it took allot but we got him down there again. I’m at home and want to be with him but I’m waiting to see what’s going on.


Please share your experience or hugs with Nicole so she doesn’t have to go this path on her own!


1 Comment